For years I’ve been hunting for some tasty won-ton soup, and come up empty. Most are bland, bland, bland. But recently I found frozen chicken/cilantro won-tons at Trader Joes and I came up with my own recipe:
This makes 1 large meal size portion or 2 smaller portions
- 2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (do not use prepared chicken broth – it is too strong)
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice (to taste, I like it more on the tangy side)
- 1/2 tsp red paper flakes (to taste – more if sinuses really clogged)
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/3 bag won-tons (about 12)
- Optional – frozen broccoli (6-8 florets) and/or pre-cooked shrimp(12 medium)
Add water, chicken cube, lemon juice, and red paper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add wontons. If adding frozen shrimp, add at same time. After 1 minute, add frozen broccoli and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Add chopped green onions and cilantro and serve.
If you’re sick and can’t keep solids down, just make the broth. It has a fresher taste than standard chicken or beef broth.
PS – This is low in fat and calories too, so good diet food.