okay, this post is mainly a note to myself … since I’m so disorganized these days that if I write this down on paper, it will surely get lost. But, if someone else finds this in a search and it saves the hours of aggravation that I’ve had with this issue, then hurray!
Problem: SEF’s (search engine friendly URL’s) not working with Module Rewrite. Links to articles show either “404 not found” pages or message that says “no input item found”
Solution: Do the following:
- change htaccess.txt file to .htaccess
- edit .htaccess
- comment out the line “Options +FollowSymLinks
- If Joomla is not installed in the root directory – uncomment the line # RewriteBase / (and add the path to the Joomla root directory). Example: RewriteBase /jl if Joomla is installed in the jl directory
- In Joomla admin, edit Global Configuration/Site
- Enable Search Engine Friendly URL’s and Use Apache mod_rewrite. *Add suffix to URL’s is optional* – note, you must have write access for Web User to the configuration.php file or these changes will not apply.
- In Tools menu, Clean Cache – all files.
- Clear browser cache
- Test site